Thursday, December 15, 2011

{Sneaky} Sugar Christmas Cookies


Ones of the best childhood Christmas memories I have is making what seems to be hundreds of my Mom's delicious sugar cookies. She would let us help decorate them and it was so fun doing that with her. I wanted to make some goodies for Eric's boss and secretary but with a busy 8 month old and no babysitter I didn't have time to make the real deal like my Mom would - I had to cheat and go the easy route once again! But I have to say they taste exactly the same and it saved me time and money so I will definitely be doing them this way again!

Makes approx. 20 cookies

You Need:
1 package of Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix
Almond Extract {this is what makes them SPECIAL!!}
1 Egg
1 Stick of butter or margarine - softened
1 Tablespoon of flour
Plus some extra flour (see below)
Christmas Cookie Cutters
Cute Christmas Sprinkles
Red and Green Food Coloring
Rolling pin
Cookie Sheet
Frosting ... you can use THIS recipe (it's more of a glaze) or I just wanted to be super lazy today so I bought the kind in a tub - 1 tub was enough to frost all my cookies and more!

Directions:
1) Heat oven to 375°F.

2) In medium bowl, stir cookie mix, soft butter, 2 cap fulls of Almond extract, flour and egg until soft dough forms.


3) On floured surface (this is that extra flour you needed above - you just need enough to cover the surface), roll dough to about 1/4-inch thickness. If your dough is sticky just work some more flour into it and roll it back out. If it's still sticky do it again. You can't hurt it. Do it until it's not sticky. Make sure you dust your rolling pin with flour before you roll the dough out or it may stick to your dough. Cut with cookie cutters. Place on ungreased cookie sheets, about 1/2 inch apart.

4) Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.

5) Spread frosting on cooled cookies. Decorate as desired with icing, sprinkles and sugars.

Note: I added food coloring and 1 1/2 cap fulls of Almond Extract to my tub of frosting!! Then placed it in a ziploc baggie, cut a small hole in one of the corners and used it as a pastry bag (get an idea of what it should look like here) because that is how my Mom does it :D I also put crushed candy canes on some cookies and not sprinkles.

No comments: