Saturday, September 24, 2011

Comfort Meatballs

I made the B-E-S-T dinner last night & I got the recipe from my new Pioneer Woman Cookbook ... So amazing .. it's a must try! I served it with mashed potatoes, corn & Eric's Cheese Toast the cook book says it makes 6-8 servings, but I would say it makes only 3-4 servings. It made 14 meatballs and Eric and I ate 8 of them. I also used dried minced onion. I was scared because they smelled really onion-y, but once they were cooked, you really couldn't even taste them.  What I love about this cookbook, is it gives step-by-step instructions and pictures. Which is nice when you have never made the recipe before & you're not sure if your doing it right or not ...
I hope you enjoy this recipe (I made a few changes, her recipe just has too many onions!) ... 
Meatball Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
3/4 cup quick oats
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons very finely minced onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
4 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup flour

Meatball Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
dash of tabasco

Directions:
1. In a bowl, combine the ground beef and oats.

2. Pour in the milk, then ad the diced onion, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.

3. Roll the mixture into balls and refrigerate them for 30 minutes or until firm.

4. Preheat the oven to 350. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.

5. Dredge the meatballs in the flour.

6. Brown the meatballs in batches until light brown. As they brown, place them into a greased rectangular baking dish.

7. Stir together the sauce ingredients and drizzle the sauce evenly over the meatballs.

8. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until bubbly and hot.

No comments: