Monday, September 26, 2011

Fried Okra

So for Eric's birthday his Dad took us all out to lunch and Eric picked Golden Corral, because ... he LOVES the fried okra there (it's a "southern" thing) when we got there they didn't even have any; however Eric asked a cook & they special order made him some. Well being the good (trophy) wife that I am (hehe! ... Well and my friend Sarah gave me this recipe) I thought I would make my hubby some homemade okra tonight. I told Eric and he said that he didn't think I could make it as good as Golden Corral does, so it was a challenge ... it was on! Eric said that Golden Corral okra is a "10" and mine is a "9" so I guess I did pretty well :D


Make four servings


Ingredients:
4 cups fresh okra, cut into 1/2-inch rounds, stems & ends discarded
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk

1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper



Directions:
1. Fill a small sauce pot 2/3 full of oil. Do not exceed 2/3 or oil will bubble over during frying. Heat oil over medium high heat. Using a fry/candy thermometer, heat oil to 385ºF.

2. Wash and cut up okra put in a large mixing bowl.

3. In a small bowl beat egg with milk. Pour over the cut okra and toss until the okra is well coated.

4. In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper. Add in the wet okra (try not to add in the extra egg/milk coating), and toss until the okra well coated with the dry mix. Set aside.

5. Use a large slotted spoon (NOT PLASTIC - I did and it melted!) to safely add coated okra down into the hot oil. Fry up from 1 to 2-minutes, until light to golden brown. Scoop out okra with a slotted spoon, drain on a plate lined with a paper towel.

No comments: