This salsa is a sweet alternative to typical tomato-based salsas. The recipe is great year-round, although it’s best when mangoes are in season each May. It pairs well with seafood, poultry, or simple tortilla chips.
Recipe From: Qdoba Mexian Grill
Yeilds: About 4 1/2 Cups
2 cups of mangoes, fresh or frozen; cut into 1/4" to 1/2" pieces
1 medium red pepper, diced into 1/4" to 1/2" pieces
1 medium cucumber, diced into 1/4" to 1/2" pieces
1/4 of a red onion, diced into 1/4" to 1/2" pieces
1 jalapeno, finely minced
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
1 lime, juiced (or approximately 2 tablespoons of juice)
1 tablespoon of sugar
a pinch of salt
1. If using frozen mangoes, thaw and then cut into 1/4" to 1/2" pieces; place in mixing bowl.
If you are using fresh mangoes, you will need to follow the procedure below:
The mango has a flat, oblong pit that you want to cut around, separating the flesh of the mango from the pit. Stand the mango on its end with the stem side down. With a sharp knife, cut from the top of the mango down one side; repeat this on the other side. You should end up with three pieces-two sides, and a middle section with the pit. Take the outer section of mango and make lengthwise and crosswise cuts without cutting through the skin. You will then be able to peel the pieces away from the skin. Repeat this step with the other outer section of mango. Add pieces to the mixing bowl.
2. Cut ends of cucumber and peel skin. Cut in half lengthwise. Using a spoon scrape out seeds. Dice into small pieces and add to the mixing bowl.
3. Dice 1/4 of a red onion and a whole red pepper; add to bowl.
4. Mince the jalapeno and add to bowl. If you like heat or spice, leave the ribs in. If you don’t want extra spice, cut out ribs and seeds. If your skin is sensitive to the heat, wear gloves or coat hands with a small quantity of salad oil, which makes it much easier to rinse the pepper from your hands. This is a must for contact wearers.
5. Chop cilantro and add to bowl.
6. Squeeze juice from one lime (approximately 2 tablespoons) and add to bowl.
7. Add sugar and salt; stir.
8. Refrigerate until needed.