3-5 pound chuck roast
1 3/4 cups beef broth
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 orange juice
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 garlic cloves - minced
Mini potatoes (red or I used mini sweet idahos)
1) Place roast & potatoes in your crock pot and set it to low. (Will need to cook at least 8 hours)
2) In a small mixing bowl combine all remaining ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Then pour over meat & potatoes and let cook.
- it is obviously cooking in A LOT of liquid, so it's perfect for french dip sandwiches too. Just skip the potatoes :) And after it's done cooking remove some of the juices (as much or as little as you want) for later dipping your sandwich in. Then shred the roast in the crock pot and let it soak up all the flavors of the juice it's in. Served on your favorite toasted hoggie with a small bowl of your reserved juices for dipping. Serve with fries.
- the first time I made it I made some balsamic & butter & garlic fresh french beans on the side to serve with it. Just dump all ingredients into a skillet over medium heat, sauté until breans are cooked. (I just eye-balled the amounts of everything)
- this recipe has no balsamic flavor to it, it's more of a mild sweetness.